There, I fixed it.

Today is the last day of my staycation. I spent a blissful week and a half making things, seeing friends, and sleeping in. I got to crack open beers before noon and play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out on my NES (which, in retrospect, was a preeety racist game - observe Piston Honda's dialogue screen).
Perhaps the most satisfying part of my time off was spending the first few days repainting, moving things around, and generally nesting.

More after the jump...


For example, remember that time I painted my living room pink? Remember what a mistake that was? Here's a reminder:
Heinous. The very first thing I did during my time off was fix that.

I've been loving all the bright white apartments Design*Sponge and similar sites have been showing and, though simple is not the first adjective I would use to describe myself, I thought it might make my cozy place look a little larger.

Examples:
Hillary Petrie's Place
Elias & Theresa of Orange Juice Etc.

I started by painting all the pink and grey bits white:

You are correct - those are both Decemberists posters.

I originally painted the sofa wall white as well, but it made me feel like I was in a newly-painted dorm room. I used a lovely shade of green from one of my Audubon prints for an accent wall.

The American Magpie:


The Accent Wall:

I love it. It's worn and soothing, and doesn't clash (much) with my purple couch.

I also made some new pillows and changed out the end tables with a great pair of tiered mid century ones I found at the Salvation Army.

It's amazing what some paint and a few end tables can do for your sense of well-being. I suppose this is how some women feel after a day at the spa. Beginning my staycation with such a change got me into that DIY mindset that safeguarded me from spending 11 days parked on my couch, re-watching Six Feet Under.

Your Sister in Craft,

LB

August 23, 2011

Post a Comment