A Lucky Thing

Objects have lives; they are witness to things. This is a sentimental and true statement. I heard it while driving home one night on This American Life's episode "House on Loon Lake" (hear it here).

Setting aside the obligatory photos, handed-down jewelry, and other family-centric items, my most prized possessions are not valuable. My apartment is crammed with thrifted and found objects which I've paid little or nothing for. I find that the less I end up paying for something, the more I value it; it is like a little survivor which I don't own so much as am in temporary possession of.  

My friend Meg found one such item last week.  I received a message from her one night that said, "Look what I rescued from the dumpster room in my building!" She sent a photo of an adorable white writing desk; I was happy for and jealous of her. 

Here are some before and after shots:

 
More after the jump...



On one hand, I don't understand why people put perfectly good things like writing desks in the trash.
 On the other, I am happy when I find them.
 I really, really covet that chair of hers.
This desk is perfect for her. 
Finding it is like getting an anonymous gift from the world. 


Your Sister in Craft,


LB

January 08, 2011

Post a Comment